A sudden dental emergency can be traumatic and painful, as well as potentially dangerous. And when it happens out of scheduled office hours, an emergency makes you wonder whether help is available!
Any traumas that can impact your health must be dealt with by a medical professional. Call our dental offices immediately if you experience any of the following:
- Mouth trauma – Sudden and severe tooth pain, a loose tooth, or a tooth that has been knocked out
- Bleeding gums – Characterized by sudden bleeding that won’t stop or that has occurred because of an item lodged in the gums that won’t come out
- Abscess – A dental abscess is a pocket of severe infection. If left untreated, it can cause immense swelling and pain. Also, the infection could potentially spread throughout the jaw, and to other areas of the head and neck.
After more than 20 years in the field, Dr. Vu feels it is essential to help patients get out of pain fast, and recommends calling her at any of her three locations, at any time, to attend to any of these dental emergencies.
You can better deal with an emergency is helped by knowing what first-steps to take, depending on the problem. Here are some helpful tips for coping with a dental emergency:
- Knocked Out Adult Tooth – Call our office, keep the tooth moist at all times and, if possible, place back in the socket. If that is not possible, place it between your mouth and gums, in a cup of milk, or in a glass of water containing a pinch of salt.
- Partially Dislodged Tooth – Call us immediately. Apply a cold compress to the outside of the mouth, or cheek, and take a pain reliever, such as Tylenol or Advil) as needed, until you can be seen.
- Bit Lip or Gum – Clean and rinse out the area with warm water. Apply a cold compress. Call us if the cut is deep and there is heavy bleeding.
As with all dental emergency situations, it’s important to contact your dentist as soon as possible. Dr. Vu is always available in the case of emergencies. Galleria Smile Designs three locations to serve patients in need. Dr. Vu offers same day emergency care, and after-hours attention in her Roseville office. For more information about taking care of your dental emergency, contact us!