While dental implants may not yet be the most widely talked about surgery in cosmetic dentistry, one thing is for sure: The popularity of the procedure is growing rapidly. According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, 3 million people have dental implants, and that number is increasing by nearly half a million a year.
That’s because dental implants have allowed patients who have lost one or more teeth – due to causes ranging from gum disease to injury – an option to restore their smiles without the formerly standard go-to solution of dentures. With a dental implant, you are replacing not only the crown of the tooth (the part your people see when you smile), but also the root of it with a small piece of titanium.
So, are dental implants right for you? Consider these facts:
- You can replace one or multiple teeth – One implant and crown can replace a single missing tooth, while implant-supported dentures or bridges replace multiple missing teeth.
- They can be used to support dentures – Removable dentures, which tend to slide around on gums can be anchored in with implants, providing a more comfortable and cost-effective solution for people who have lost all of their teeth.
- Dental implants are a permanent solution – Unlike removable dentures or traditional bridges, implants are a lasting remedy, since your implant post integrates naturally with your jaw, like a real tooth root would.
- The benefits are more than just cosmetic – While implants are virtually indistinguishable from your natural teeth, the perks go beyond the visible. Because they don’t slide around like dentures, patients are able to chew food more easily, and oral care (such as flossing and brushing) is as simple as with it would be with a natural tooth.
- Implants reduce jawbone loss – When a tooth is lost, the alveolar bone that supports the jaw deteriorates. The sooner an implant is administered, the less likely these problems are to occur.
- Your insurance may help you cover the cost – Depending on the circumstances surrounding the loss of your tooth or teeth, you may have some coverage to help pay for implants. If your plan does not cover the procedure, companies like CareCredit may offer financing options that work for your budget.
- The success rate is spectacular – According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, dental implants have a 98% success rate.
There are many factors that determine whether dental implants are the best solution for you, so talk our team at Galleria Smile Designs, if you feel they might be the best way to enhance your smile and your quality of life. At the rate the popularity of the procedure is growing, dental implants are likely to become the standard for tooth replacement in the next few years. Call our office in Roseville, Sacramento and Bruceville with any questions!